Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Channeling Garbo

Yesterday, when I arrived home, I was in a sulky sort of mood. After fixing myself a rather tasty sandwich for supper, I settled down on the coach to veg out. I wanted some peace and quiet and time to myself. Easily achieved you would think considering I live alone. Oh no. First, my mother called, which was fine, and actually expected. Unfortunately, I don't have a phone hooked up in my living room, it is in my den, so in order to answer the phone I must get up and run through the foyer, the hall and into the den to grab the phone, dodging the floor lamp that I moved so that I would have better light for a project that I am working on. So, I hang up and go back to coach. The phone rings again and this time it's the credit card company. This is the third time in a week that someone from the credit card company has called and it is to lecture me on the dangers of identity theft. I yelled and argued and finally hung up. If they call again I may have a hissy fit! (Oh yes, I am Southern!) Then, just when I am settled down again, my neighbor rings my doorbell because he wants to offer me radishes from his garden. I felt like screaming "I want to be left alone!" Solitude is so hard to come by sometimes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character."
-James Russell Lowell, Among My Books, 1870

I'm sorry you found it troubling to find quiet. I hope you eventually found it. <3

Dale Guffey said...

Oh, I can so relate! I've had days when I'm so frazzled and finding "alone time" seems to be nearly impossible - to the point that I get snappish with friends. I don't mean it, but why's it so hard when you live alone to BE alone sometimes?

I have no idea how young mothers maintain any sort of cool.

Try this - "Oh, it's so good to see you! I'm trying to move this ridiculously heavy piece of furniture/clean my gutters and I don't have a ladder/contact the dead and I need another person to complete the circle. Thank God you've arrived!"

That should do the trick. And if it's a phone call, just take a deep breath and either go into great detail about the specific symptoms of a nasty kidney infection (never letting them get a word in edgewise) or crumple up waxed paper in your hand close to the phone and pretend it's phoen interference.

Of course, you can't do any of these with me because well, I know the tricks.

Akin said...

You could always say "I knew you were going to come over! Satan told me so when I spoke with him this morning!" then watch the confused/fearful looks as they slowly back away...

Hey, don't blame me, Mockingbird told me it was funny enough to relate to you!