Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hodgepodge

It has been a while since my last posting and the reasons for that are myriad. For one thing, I had a cold, and for another we have had snow days which kept me at home doing things besides going online. Also, my grandmother passed away last weekend and the doings associated with that have taken up a considerable amount of time. I have managed to read a great deal though, and to try out a new recipe and that is what I wish to discuss.

First off the recipe. My father in-law sent me a great cookbook for Christmas called Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys by Lucinda Scala Quinn. It was a great read and filled with recipes I wanted to try. The first one I attempted, with a great deal of help from my darling husband, was for hand-held chicken pies with a cream cheese pastry crust. They were fantastic! Many of her recipes make a large number of servings, and this was no exception. It was supposed to make ten, but I think we got our crust a little thinner than we were supposed to and we made twelve. Good thing too since Sunshine ate four for dinner and I put away three. (They aren't that big to be honest). At any rate, that only left five for the following day (today actually) so none are left to be frozen for a quick lunch one day which is what she recommends. These came into existence when one of her sons mentioned how much he had enjoyed Hot Pockets at a friend's house. Yeesh! I can't imagine telling my mother who was not a professional cook that Hot Pockets tasted good (since they don't, and they smell worse), so I shudder to think of her response to this. It worked out well for us though! I'm going to try another of her recipes tonight with the turkey burgers we are having. Parmasean topped baked fries.

I have also managed to read the following books since my last posting. I suppose I should have waited for Wednesday but what the hell. I've read: Nemesis by Agatha Christie, River of Darkness by Rennie Airth, Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch, and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. I also started A Murderous Procession by Ariana Franklin. I make no apologies for being an avid mystery reader, and it is not surprising that most of ones I read are either by British authors or set in England since I'm a quite the anglophile as well. However, I do wish to broaden my reading habits and read books set in other countries besides the UK and the states.

Oh, and I ran across this on the site Jezebel and thought it was fantastic! I only wish I was of the age to participate, or worked with children who were. And I would really like to meet the kids in the featured video. 90-Second Newbery.

And I really need to figure out how to insert multiple pictures.

1 comment:

James Kennedy said...

Hi, this is James Kennedy (the co-curator of the "90-Second Newbery" film festival, and the author of the YA fantasy The Order of Odd-Fish). Thanks for spreading the word about the video contest!