August 17th was the one year anniversary of my becoming a homeowner. I had planned on doing this post closer to that date, but it also happens to be my mother's birthday and festivities took precedence. At any rate, these are some of the things that I have learned over this past year.
1. Houses are WAY more expensive than apartments. I know a lot of you just went "well duh SL," but really and truly even though I knew that they were more expensive, I didn't realize how much more until I was left in charge of everything.
2. I'm actually a pretty good cook and have a knack for picking tasty recipes.
3. Yoga is a lot harder than I thought it would be.
4. My dog is very spoiled, but a sweet creature that I love fiercely. (I sort of already knew that last part, but what the hell.)
5. Additionally, he is not to be trusted outside without a leash. That lesson almost came at a very steep price.
6. Good deeds frequently get you punished.
7. I have horrible taste in men.
8. Being pleasant and cheerful all day long is very tiring for an introvert. Think of it as a marathon performance for an actor. (My natural at rest state appears to be serious). Constantly being around people for 8 hours wears me out. Again, I sort of already knew this but it has recently been driven home. Repeatedly.
9. I should never underestimate the general public's ability to annoy me, or any administration's ability to mess up a free meal.
10. My reading material reflects a certain level of fracture in my personality. I don't actually think I'm fractured, just that the wide variety of books I chose to read could be interpreted that way. Does it really seem possible for the same woman to read books on football, vampires, the sexual escapades of long dead monarchs, Ghengis Khan, wizards, fictional murders including one that revolves around an anthropomorphized egg, and children being trained as military leaders in a dystopian future and enjoy them all? Well, that's me.
11. For someone who reads as much as I do my spelling stinks. This isn't really a new concept either, just painfully pointed out to me every time I blog. My vocabulary has always outstripped my spelling capacity. It made writing AP essays a bitch.
12. I care about most people way more than they care about me.
13. Way too many people find the concept of a print card to be mind boggling. Clearly it is an advanced concept that needs to be taught in school.
14. Your wit is like a muscle, it must be exercised daily or else it will atrophy.
15. Syrion and I apparently look enough alike that we are thought to be related.
16. Cooking for other people, especially if they are appreciative, is way more rewarding than cooking for just yourself.
17. My sweet tooth must be kept on a short leash or I will lose control of it.
18. I can hold a grudge for a very, very long time.
19. Chickpeas are actually quite tasty.
20. I never look as nice in photographs as I do in the mirror.